Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Whistling Sands, Aberdaron

Aberdaron, as the Lonely Planet guide states, is an end-of-the-earth kind of place.
Roads connect people to places. Thus, most of the earth can be reached only by a walk.
Highway and main roads connect to a limited and selected number of spaces. To break this gentle control, small roads in Wales do the job.
following a thiny and nervous road in the Llyn peninsula, I find myself in a desert beach surrounded by black stones.
I meet two persons:
  • A young fisherman
  • A technician who's trying to repair the cash payer for the parking. Even remote beaches have a two pound parking fee!

On the last edge of the peninsula lays Aberdaron. Here I find a small Cafe, serving sandwiches filled by fresh Aberdaron crabs. This place is all white painted wood, warm canvas. It's crowded by 60ers turists from Cardiff. Everyone is speaking in Welsh.
What does Aberadon offer?
Malichony, rains. Magic islands.
Most important, it offers intimity like no other spot on the earth does.

Travelling is movement. I cannot stare at Beaumaris castle more than 15'.
Following 10' in Beaumaris Courthouse. So uneasy place! So much enphasis on death sentences, tortures and witch-hunting. Dark emotions, people's favorite.
Several questions make my mind pale:
What is the substitute of witch-hunting?
Why humankind burnt witches for centuries?
And what do we do now instead?

Wales is full of witches, warlocks, and wizards.
I am the lizard king. I can do everything.

No comments: